R-9 Test Results

The first Casing 2.0 test featuring the improved nozzle assembly, which failed to live up to its potential due to some below average fuel

I have recently acquired new materials for use in casing construction

The idea is that instead of locating a nozzle manifold on the inside of the rocket casing, it is placed directly on top, and then held in place with a external tube placed over top

The first test did not perform as expected

Please note the intermittent sputtering of the nozzle as molten oxidizer escapes

Initial observation noted a strong start, followed by a significant amount of excess burn time (read, it burned 10 seconds longer than expected), and 2 columns of what I expect is un-reacted oxidizer (saltpetre)

Graph does not include the 10+ seconds of gradual fuel burn off, since it would obfuscate the existing data
Weight Before Launch39.31
Weight After Launch24.62
Estimated Fuel Consumption14.69
Peak Thrust113 Grams
Thrust Time2.3 Seconds
Burn Time±18 Seconds
R-9 Post Test

There must have been some form of chamber breach resulting in either a loss of pressure or loss of pressure build up, since it started nominally and burned for longer than normal
It was either that or a failure to start caused by the nozzle exhaust releasing enough pressure to stop the fuel burning quick enough after the igniter was ejected, but i am unsure of how to prove either of these cases

As for the columns, I have taken extensive photographs to document them

It has however been evident that the fuel mixture needs some work, since a lot of un-reacted saltpeter is always found at or behind the exhaust

I think this can be attributed to less than optimal mix of the ingredients, which is why I’m temporarily shifting focus to R&D for a better ball mill
I have ran out of fuel either way, so i find it best if i invest time now to make sure the next batch will be better, this is also why I’m temporarily changing the ratio of fuel and oxidizer (Saltpeter / Sorbitol) from 65% / 35% to a ratio of 60% / 40%, this is in an effort to reduce un-reacted reagents, though this mixture is on paper less ideal power wise (Source: Nakka-Rocketry)
This could also influence the casting process, for better or worse, but this has yet to be tested

As always, the raw data (In a 7-Zip archive):

I also recommend Notepad++ for viewing and editing

On to R-10

One thought on “R-9 Test Results”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.